Here’s is a delicious way to use the aronia berries we got in the CSA boxes from Circle M Farm.
1 cup all purpose flour
3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
4 tablespoons grapeseed oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups buttermilk
2 granny smith apples, diced, no need to peel (this was about 4 cups)
1 cup aronia berries
- Preheat oven to 375. Line muffin tins.
- In a pretty big bowl, whisk together the flours and spices.
- In an even bigger bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and egg. Then whisk in the butter, oil and vanilla. Then whisk in the buttermilk and then the flour mixture.
- Stir in the apple and the berries.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups all the way to the top.
- Bake for at least 20 min. I’m not sure how long I baked mine for. Use a toothpick to check when they’re done because they don’t get very brown on top.
This is a great way to use up those two sad-looking softish apples you’ve had sitting out for over a week now.
Just chop them up and throw them in the batter with some aronia berries. Though if you have to substitute some other berry, that’s understandable. I think aronia berries are pretty hard to find. I just got some in my CSA box from Circle M Farm. They have like a ba-jillion antioxidants. So these muffins are really good for you. 😉
They go in the oven like this…
And they come out like this.
Yum. And they are kid-tested and approved.