Hi everyone! In case you missed it, we held a cooking class last Monday night at Whole Foods. It was a blast; thanks to everyone who joined us! Unfortunately, we forgot to take pictures during the class, so you’ll just have to imagine how everything would look. The class featured mexican-inspired dishes, full of color and flavor and a great way to welcome summer in. And of course, we eliminated the most common food allergies!
Here’s the menu…
Shrimp Wrap Appetizer
3 large avocados
1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
1/4 cup olive oil
1 scallion, chopped
1 clove garlic
4 leaves lettuce
- Mix everything together.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve on lettuce cups.
Heck of a Jicama Salad
1 medium-sized jicama root, peeled and sliced into thick matchsticks
1 teaspoon salt
2 limes, juiced (about 4 tablespoons juice)
2 hearts of romaine, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (about a handful of leaves)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Place the jicama in a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and the juice of one lime. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- While the jicama softens, arrange romaine on a serving plate. Then top it with the jicama.
- Juice the remaining lime into a small bowl, add the cilantro and cumin. Whisk in the oil in a slow stream.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and season with salt and pepper.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 sweet bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, fresh or canned, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 cup cooked kidney beans
1 cup cooked pinto beans
28 ounces canned tomatoes, chopped, reserve juice
- Saute the onion, carrot, garlic and peppers. Cook until veggies are soft. Add the chili powder and cumin and cook 3 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add beans, tomatoes and tomato juice. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and lime and serve.
Mexican Chocolate Fondue with Pepitas
1 cup pure chocolate
1/2 cup grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of chili powder
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt the chocolate with the grapeseed oil.
- Stir in agave, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and chili powder.
- Serve drizzled over fruit and sprinkle with pepitas.