Everyone who watches the news is aware of what the obesity epidemic is, but knowing about it has not been enough to get people to realize they may be part of the epidemic and need to make changes. Despite a recent goal made by health officials to work towards reducing the growing rate of obesity by 15%, more and more adults are joining 2.4 million obese Americans.
- 1 in 2 adults are overweight
- 1 in 6 adults are obese
- The rate of overweight Americans is expected to increase by 1% every year for the next 10 years
- The number of states where 30% of the population is obese has tripled from 2007 to 2009 (In 2000, zero states had obesity rates this high!)
Why are the rates growing so fast? The answer seems pretty straight forward to experts – We have an increased consumption and availability of high calorie foods and a decrease in physical activity. People don’t want to eat less or healthier and they don’t want to exercise. Because change is so hard for people, it’s estimated that 3 out of 4 adults with be overweight or obese in the next 10 years.
People should want to make changes – the potential costs of being overweight or obese are great:
- Overweight and obese adults die 8 to 10 years sooner
- More likely to develop diseases such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease and cancer
- Health care costs are 25% higher than those with normal weights
Don’t be one of the 2.4 million. We need to work to decrease that number. We know change is hard and what works for one person will not work for everyone. We have had amazing results with the Optimal Body Balance Program and if you are dedicated to change we would love to help you achieve your goals. Check back for details on new program styles, including an online program and a group program!
Source: Life Extension Magazine “US Obesity Growing at an Alarming Rate” Jon Finkel
Nutraceuticals World “U.S. Tops ‘Fattest Country’ List”