This is what I had for my birthday ‘cake’ this year. These are so yummy and easy to make. I’ve become a huge fan of baking with almond flour!
I’ve used the frosting as a fondue and to make chocolate covered strawberries (pop them in the fridge to firm up the chocolate)
Very Vanilla Cupcakes
2 large organic free range eggs, separated
1/4 c oil – grape seed
1/2 c agave or honey
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 10 muffin cups. You must use paper cup liners, or the cupcakes will stick to the pan.
- Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl until pale yellow. Whisk in the oil, agave, vanilla and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks with an electric mixer.
- Gently fold the whites into the yolk mixture.
- Combine the dry ingredients. Gently fold into the wet ingredients.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted comes out clean (mine took about 25 minutes).
- Let cool in the pan for half an hour, then frost if desired, and/or serve.
Makes 10 cupcakes or one layer cake.
Vegan Chocolate Frosting
1 cup dark chocolate chips 100% chocolate
½ cup grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons agave nectar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
pinch celtic sea salt
- In a small saucepan over very low heat, melt chocolate and grapeseed oil
- Stir in agave, vanilla and salt
- Place frosting in freezer for 15 minutes to chill and thicken
- Remove from freezer and whip frosting with a hand blender until it is thick and fluffy
This recipe is from Elana’s Pantry and the Almond Flour Cookbook